Green Room Tampa Bay :: Film and Television in West Central Florida     jump to ->   go to - go to
Logo/Front Page Link current weather
Logo/Front Page
Back to Current News

5 Film Slang Terms To Get You Set Ready
(released 4/3/2018)
By Kimberly Burke

Every industry has their own lingo that enables you to do the job and sound like a pro. Below are five terms to prepare you for working on a film set.

A Camera: When more than one movie camera is being used on set, the camera crew will designate them A,B, C and so forth. This allows the praise or blame to be properly attributed to the crew when viewing the dailies.

Bee Smoke: Often used by apiarists to calm swarms of stunning creatures, bee smoke has been used on film sets as atmospheric smoke. It has also been known to have a calming effect on the crew's intestines, as well, causing a run on the honeywagon.

Honeywagon: The trailer holding the portable toilet for use by the crew, so called because of the wonderful odor emanating from within.

Pigeon: This piece of grip gear looks nothing like its namesake. It's actually a 5/8 x 3 - inch metal stud mounted to a board and used for holding small lighting instruments. Some U.S. crews call it a "beaverboard". On the film Virus, the boss decided this was nasty and sexist, and he instructed everyone to refer to it as a "penis plate" instead.

Ten-One: This is polite walkie-talkie lingo for, "The person in question might be found in the restroom."  Ten-100 is cop talk for a toilet-oriented refreshment pause.

The above terms were sourced from the book by filmmaker Dave Knox titled  STRIKE THE BABY AND KILL THE BLONDE: An Insider's Guide to Film Slang.

digg this article Digg this article!     Green Room Tampa Bay News Feed Subscribe

 Geo Visitors Map Legal    Links    Site Index Forms and resumes use free download of Acrobat Reader.

© 2004 - 2018 Green Room Tampa Bay