The Gasparilla Film Festival, along with its partners Studio @ 620, the University of Tampa and WMNF, are pleased to announce the second screening of the Global Lens Film Series on Saturday night, June 7th at the University of Tampa, Reeves Theater (Vaughn Center). The film begins at 8pm.
Amy, the family matriarch, makes ends meet by running a small convenience store out of her home. But in a struggling economy customers are scarce, and without the help of her husband or pregnant daughter, she is forced to supplement the family income by collecting bets for an illegal numbers game. In this starkly realistic narrative, director Jeffrey Jeturian presents a captivating portrait of a once-proud woman, haunted by memories of a dead son and hounded by the police, and her fragile and lonely life as a kubrador (bet collector) on the streets of Manila.
About the Director
Jeffrey Jeturian was born in Manila, Philippines in 1959. He studied Broadcast Communication at the University of the Philippines. After college, he held various positions within the film industry for fifteen years before making his first feature film, Enter Love (1998). His second feature film, Fetch A Pail Of Water (1999), about slum dwellers and their struggle for survival, won the NETPAC Jury Award at the 1st CineManila International Film Festival (Philippines) and a Gold Award at the 2000 Worldfest International Film Festival (USA). His third feature film, Larger Than Life (2000), a satirical take on the state of filmmaking in the Philippines, was an official selection for competition in the Cinema Of the Present program of the 2001 Venice International Film Festival (Italy) and won a Gold Award at the 2002 Worldfest International Film Festival (USA). Jeturian's other previous feature films include Bridal Shower (2004), One Moment More (2004), and Bikini Open (2005). The Bet Collector is his seventh feature film.
DATE: Saturday, June 7th
WHERE: University of Tampa, Reeves Theater (Vaughn Center) (http://www.ut.edu)
WHEN: 8 PM
ADMISSION: $8 general admission.
UT Students, Professors + Gasparilla Film Festival Members Attend for Free.
Trailer for The Bet Collector can be found at:
Gasparilla Film Festival website:
CONSOLIDATED SCREENING SCHEDULE (All Screenings Start at 8pm)
- Saturday, June 7th (The Bet Collector) U of Tampa, Reeves Theater
- Friday, June 27th (The Kite, Lebanon) Studio @ 620, St. Petersburg
- Friday, July 11th (All For Free, Croatia) Studio @ 620, St. Petersburg
- Friday, July 25th (Bunny Chow, South Africa) U of Tampa, Reeves Theater
- Friday, August 22nd (The Fish Fall in Love, Iran) Studio @ 620, St. Petersburg
- Friday, August 29th (The Kite, Lebanon) U of Tampa, Reeves Theater
- Friday, Sept 26th (The Bet Collector) Studio @ 620, St. Petersburg
- Friday, October 4th: MINI- FESTIVAL #1- STUDIO @620, St. Petersburg
(Argentine doubleheader) The Custodian, Kept & Dreamless
- Saturday, October 5th "Celebration of Asia":
(1) Let the Wind Blow (India),(2) Luxury Car (China) + (3) Opera Jawa (Indonesia)